Monday, February 24, 2014

Another hair style, for me and someone else

People who know me, know that I've been thinking about donating my hair for a long time. However, I always found an excuse: after prom I will do it, because I really want beautiful, long hair on my prom pictures. My prom was in June, I eventually donated my hair in October (because, you know, I was going to college and people there needed to see me with long hair, and I didn't know which hairdresser to go to, and I didn't want it to be too short...) Well, the main reason was that I was afraid. That people wouldn't think of me as "pretty" when I had short hair. That people would tell me I made a mistake.

What was I thinking?! People who would think that should not matter to me! So, eventually, I went to the hairdresser together with my mother (for mental support), and it turned out not so bad after all!


We had an appointment somewhere around 1 o'clock, and my mother was almost as nervous as I was. After a photo shoot at home (everyone wanted the "last picture of the long-haired me...") we could finally leave. As I was sitting in the chair, and someone was washing my hair I imagined what would happen after this. 

One thing was sure, I would use way too much shampoo when I would wash my hair myself 
again. 

After braiding and measuring several times (it turned out that it had to be 25 cm in a braid, from elastic band to elastic band... more than I expected), the man took his scissors and started cutting my hair. 

But, but, but... That is my hair!! It was hard to watch the cut-off braid lay in front of me while the hairdresser was modelling my hair, but I knew somebody would be really happy with that braid! And oh well, my hair would grow anyways. 

When I walked out the door (after an entire photo shoot at the hairdresser again) I was satisfied. It was weird to have hair this short for the first time in my life, but I felt like a completely different person. My mother kept staring at me during lunch and repeated (a 1000 times) that it looked so nice! Also my friends and family reacted positively to the pictures I'd sent them, and even more positive when they saw me in real life.

Only two or three people I knew said it was a pity, that the longer hair suited me better. To be honest, I do not even care any more. It if February now, almost March, and my hair is still short. Not because it doesn't grow so fast, but because I want to keep it short for a while! I love my new hair, but what I love more is that I made a girl who lost her hair due to a medical condition very happy with my blonde braid.

The message I want to spread with this blog post, is that you should not be influenced by the opinion of other people. What do they know? If you are thinking about donating your hair you should of course think it through a lot to make sure you will not regret it, but do not let anyone else stand interfere with what you really want!

Happy new hair















http://www.haarwensen.nl/ -- The organization where I donated my hair

No comments:

Post a Comment